DID YOU KNOW?
· Canadians spend an average of four hours a day "in front of a box passively absorbing somebody else's view of reality." says Kalle Lasn, editor of Adbusters magazine . [http://www.ottawasun.com
GENERAL FACTS ABOUT TV
NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF TV ON KIDS’ BRAIN
NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF TV ON KIDS’ BEHAVIOUR
NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF TV ON KIDS’ BODY
NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF ADVERTISEMENTS
ADS WITH POSITIVE EFFECTS
DEALING WITH VIOLENT NEWS
POSITIVE EFFECTS OF TV
TEACHING KIDS TO SCREEN THEIR OWN TV TIME
|I sent this questionnaire
to 25 friends of my family and mine. Twenty-one people
answered. I also showed it to 20 children in my brother's
and my Music Theory class.
The first chart shows how many of the people who answered my questionnaire are adults who have no children, parents or children.
There are two major topics I asked questions about. The first one is advertisements. I wanted to find out what people think about them. The second topic I wanted to find out was if children have limits in watching TV and how watching TV affects people.
1. Do you like advertisements that have children in them more than the ones without children?
I asked this question because I thought that children, and maybe adults too, would be more attracted to commercials with kids. I think this because in my opinion children imagine themselves in the role played on TV by another child. Adults think the children are cute!
The chart shows that most of the people like ads with children. It seems like ads with children make those products more atractive to buy.
2. How many different kinds of products can you think of advertised on TV?
I wanted to see who are the people who pay the most attention to commercials, and what kind of commercials they keep in mind.
Now I know that children remember the least and adults and parents remember the most. Adults and parents mostly remember food and detergent ads. Children mostly remember toys and junk food.This makes sense because adults are the ones paying for the products.
3. Do you sometimes sing songs from commercials? Do you think that this is good?
This question is related to the previous one.
The chart shows that most people remember songs from commercials. By choosing nice songs that people can remember, companies make people choose their products, this way they earn more money.
4. Is it easy for the TV commercials to convince you to buy certain products?
The answers to this question will show me how powerful commercials are.
The answers to this question show that people believe that they are difficult to convince by ads. However questions 2 and 3 show me that people don't realize how they are convinced. Also if you see the results for the next question, it will show that most people try products from ads.
5. Did you ever want to try something because you saw its commercial on TV?
This is also about how commercials work.
This shows me that commercials work. I also found out that children are not as easy to convince to buy things as adults. This surprised me because in the articles that I read they mostly said that children are influenced by TV more than adults. I think it would be good to ask more people this question because then the results would be clearer and more accurate.
[image source] http://www.shopping.com/xPP-Standard_Televisions -~PG-5
6. Did a product with a good advertisement, but poor quality, ever disappoint you?
Advertisements are not always based on real fact about products. Many times people find out that the things said in a commercial are not true.
This shows me that I was right. Many people got disappointed by poor quality products with good advertisements.
1. What happens to you or your friends when you watch more TV in a day or a lot of TV for a few days in row? How do you feel? Tired? Bored?
I usually feel tired after watching TV a lot and I wanted to see if others do too.
Other people also feel tired just like I do when I watch TV. Some also felt bored but not many felt good.
2. How much TV do you usually watch per day?
I wanted to see what percent of my family friends watch a lot of TV. I watch an hour a day.
The chart shows me that many people watch 1-2 hours a day and some even watch less than an hour. Some watch even no TV which in my opinion is good.
3. What kinds of programs do you usually watch? Comedy? Cartoons? Drama? Suspense? Action? Crime? Horror? Science Fiction?
I wanted to find out what kind of programs people prefer. I like Science Fiction and Comedy.
Many people like Comedy like I do, they also like Action and Drama. Now I know what people mostly like.
4. If you are a child answering this questionnaire, do your parents limit how much TV you are allowed or the programs you are allowed to watch?
I wanted to see if other children's parents limit their TV time, just as my parents do.
The chart shows me that many parents don't limit their children's TV time. I think this is bad but the good thing is that some do.
5. How old are you?
I wanted to know how many kids are answering my questionnaire.
The chart shows me that not many of the children are my age, many of the adults and some of the parents are my parents age, many of the chilren are my brother's age, and of course none of the children are my little sister's age because she is still a baby.
back to top