1. To determine if MPP+ induces apoptosis and alpha-synuclein expression in human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells.
2. To determine if the addition of guanosine, a purine nucleoside, prevents alpha-synuclein expression induced by MPP+ in human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells.
Three treatments will be used on the cells:
- Pre-treatment: Guanosine will be added to cells 1 hour prior to the addition of MPP+.
- Co-treatment: Guanosine and MPP+ will be added to cells at the same time.
- Post-treatment: Guanosine will be added to cells 24 hours after the addition of MPP+.
Effects of Guanosine on Alpha-Synuclein in a Parkinson's Disease Model