Importance of Dietary FAT
How Dietary FATs are good to us:
- It provides greatest energy source per gram of food give details 1gm of oil gives 9 calories.
- Fat acts as an insulator and thus maintains body temperature.
This is particularly important for people living in cold or extreme cold climates.
- Fat improves the taste, aroma, texture of the food and also helps in digestion.
e.g. Fried potato chips tests better than just boiled potato pieces.
- Fat carries fat soluble vitamins like A D E and K.
In absence of fat our body cannot access these vitamins from the food we eat.
- When in diet, saturated fat is replaced with monounsaturated fat could give a good impact on blood cholesterol level.
- Fat provide essential fatty acids. Human body does not manufacture these.
- Fat protects internal organs from shock and injury.
- Good FAT and Essential Fatty Acids consumed in right proportions give good impact on human health.
How some Dietary FATs are bad to us:
- .... Too Much Is Too Bad
- Disproportionate and/or high intake of dietary fat, combined with sedentary life style could become a risk factor associated with cardiovascular disease. E.g.
- Saturated Fat raises blood cholesterol levels. High blood cholesterol is one of risk factors linked to coronary heart disease.
- High intake of fat could make it hard to maintain healthy body weight.
- It is important to know about cholesterol. Its relations with excess fat intake, lack of physical activities in daily lives and cardiovascular disease.