MagLev Pros and Cons
MagLevs are cool and fast, sure, but as good as they sound there are
disadvantages to them. In this page we will take a look at the MagLev's
goods and bads.
- A MagLev is way faster than your usual bullet train. MagLevs can reach
speeds up to 500 kilometres per hour.
- Due to its lack of wheels, MagLevs are quieter than normal trains,
or sometimes even traffic.
- MagLevs use 30% less energy than normal trains.
- In theory, a MagLev and its track would require very little maintenance;
since the train never touches the track there is virtually no wear and
MagLevs are still being developed and improved upon, and someone might
just find a way to reduce the cost of the track or a simpler way of constructing
- The MagLev's track is much more expensive than railroad tracks.
- Whole new sets of tracks would have to be built for the MagLev to run.
Many transportation vechicles in Europe
run on existing track, like the TGV trains in France.
- Although MagLevs are pretty quiet, noise caused by air disturbance still
Wonder what the station looks like? What about the inside of a MagLev?
Find out here.